New! Vancouver area resources for specific languages
These resources are presented only for informational purposes to help families find local resources for their language. Bilingual Family Consulting is not affiliated with these resources, does not endorse them and disclaims any liability in connection with the use of this information.
This section is in the making so stay tuned for more resources...
French Schools, Events & Tutors in Vancouver
Cousteau - L'école française internationale de Vancouver (regular school)
École André-Piolat North Vancouver (regular school)
Information on French immersion programs in the Vancouver area (regular school):
- Vancouver: http://www.vsb.bc.ca/programs/early-french-immersion.
- North Vancouver: https://www.sd44.ca/Programs…/FrenchImmersion/…/default.aspx.
- West Vancouver: http://westvancouverschools.ca/programs/french-immersion.
- Burnaby: https://burnabyschools.ca/french-immersion/
- Richmond: https://www.sd38.bc.ca/…/french-immersion/Pages/default.aspx
- Coquitlam: https://www.sd43.bc.ca/…/French%20Progra…/Pages/default.aspx
Marisa, North Vancouver: (604) 809 6844 (private tutor)
German Schools, Events & Tutors in Vancouver
German School North Shore ("Saturday" school)
Surrey German School ("Saturday" school)
Vancouver Westside German School ("Saturday" school)
Vocalchord German classes, North Vancouver ("Saturday" school)
Jana Maria Teaching and Learning (private tutor)
Vancouver Christmas Market (annual event)
Contact me to be added as a Vancouver area resource (e.g., school, event, tutor) or to update a listing.
Books on raising bilingual children
- Baker, Colin (2014). A parents' and teachers' guide to bilingualism. 4th edition. Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- This book is written in a question-answer format, it's very accessible and contains lots of well-researched information. Find out more about this book here: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?isb=9781783091591
- Zurer Pearson, Barbara (2008). Raising a bilingual child: A step-by-step guide for parents. New York, USA: Living Language (Random House).
- King, Kendall & Alison Mackey (2007). The bilingual edge: Why, when, and how to teach your child a second language. New York, NY, USA: Collings Living.
- Wang, Xiao-lei (2008). Growing up with three languages: Birth to eleven. Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- This book is a very detailed account of growing up trilingual, written by a researcher about her two trilingual children. You can read more about this book here: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?sort=sort_date/d&sf1=title_exact&st1=growingupwiththreelanguages
- Wang, Xiao-lei (2011). Learning to read and write in the multilingual family. Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Read more about this book here: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?K=9781847693709
- Harding-Esch, Edith & Philip Riley (2003). The bilingual family: A handbook for parents. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.